Friday, February 3, 2017

EmergencyKitsPlus.com Self Reliance in the face of unexpected Emergency's:

This post will be an introduction to the blog Natural Self-Reliance (EmergencyKitsPlus.com), our intentions, goals and helpful information are intended to raise awareness to the need of preparing ourselves for unknown situations out of our control. This blog will discuss all aspects of self-reliance from gardening to recommending the best survival tools and gear. We will begin with an introduction, ending with an opportunity for readers to comment.

Who the heck are we?
My wife and I live on a small island in the middle of the San Joaquin/American River Delta, a real river town, North East of San Francisco about 50 miles as the crow flies. Born and raised in Minnesota I came to California in 1969 to attend Navy boot camp. I was assigned to an air wing squadron VA-25 light attack aircraft. I worked on the flight deck of the USS Ranger, this is where an introduction to perceived and real dangerous conditions really began for me. After my discharge, I remained in California working in many industries, farms, and facilities. I drilled water wells, worked on ranches (pigs, chickens, and steers) and farms. I went on to be a shop-men Iron Worker, then a Millwright in mostly the electrical power producing industry. After many years of hard work, I was no longer able to stand for long times or walk. My catchphrase is "My abilities are much stronger than my disabilities." I have a good life.

My wife and I have never hesitated to re-invent ourselves. She is from New York state, having spent a lifetime in real estate as a broker. We have a combined family of eight, five hers, three mine, 20 plus grand children ranging in age from 6 months to a 22 year old college student, our large family feeds our passion for self reliance and safety. She has re-established herself in her profession numerous times and has dealt with terrible tragedy's. We together have lived and prospered in Fresno, La Quinta, Brentwood, Oakley and now Bethel Island, moving mostly on my wandering star syndrome. She is very passionate and cares deeply for the well being of people, that too feeds our passion to help people rely on their own means when times become challenging.

Why in the world did you start this at this point in your life?

We feel we have a lot to offer in our desire to be positive members of society, are we "experts"? Short answer "No", however with our lives experience's we have a lot of knowledge and in our view a bunch of insight dealing with adverse conditions. Our desire is to remain informed, active and become involved in this "new economy" which is very exciting for us. We have an amazing mentor and a truly impressive team to back him (and us) up.

Do you have hobbies?

 My wife is a semi-professional dancer, she has danced her entire life, she is very impressive on stage with her dance troupe, normally front and center. She is a great cook, using a lot of "home grown vegetables". I would have to say her passion besides dancing is making a truly unbelievable spaghetti sauce. Another hobby (ok I will call it that) is starting about November 1st preparing for the holiday season. She prepares Thanksgiving for our family, usually 30 plus people normally plus, everyone is invited. She doesn't rest until January, mixing her Christmas shows in with the holiday season is really busy for two old people. (chuckle). It's a good life.

Most of my hobby's are a mixture of outdoor and indoor stuff. I'm not an entertainer as my wife is, I do however play the ukulele, banjo uke and guitar. I have restored an old boat (ongoing) my grand-kids help me. I have a worm farm, two species European night-crawlers and red wrigglers, my goal is zero garbage (exception to plastics), they eat everything else. With the worms, I make my own fertilizer and compost for my other passion for gardening. We raise tomato's, asparagus, artichokes, cucumbers... well you get the idea. I'm a bird watcher, Crows, Cormorants and Vultures are my main interest. The hawks, harriers and owls very close second. I build owl boxes, and plan to build several wood duck nesting boxes (they need help) for my grandson's to install in trees in our semi rural area. I read, and read some more. There's more but this is enough for now.

I have been writing a blog on self-reliance and disaster preparedness for the past 2 years. I have 330 blogs posted online using the Blogger format. I will be posting my blogs every other day on MeWe, the title is "Natural Self-Reliance." My writing includes all aspects of self-reliance, self-awareness, and personal responsibility. I stress learning as many skills as possible to raise our self-reliance to a level of being a responder versus a victim when a Catastrophic event occurs. I write blogs on becoming prepared, highlighting some of the activities we can participate in to aide in our survival. Emergency response, Catastrophic storms, and proactive actions undertaken by local governments are all part of my subjects. I write on a wide platform with many subjects available from taking videos of wildlife to commenting about safety on the water. I am sure you will find my blogs interesting and useful, look for them on MeWe.

Concluding with

Please comment, ask questions, just read and please give our web site a look (this is the extent of my advertising). I'm sure I will mention it from time to time but I won't sell here, this is an information blog, hopefully interactive. We are interested in what you have to say. Ask about my worm farm, airplane fires, explosions, water hazards, floods, barn fires anything, we've experienced all of it.

Thanks for reading, please comment, Jim and Kate.

- EmergencyKitsPlus.com








No comments:

Post a Comment