Friday, February 10, 2017

Do I need a natural disaster survival kits for my dog?

It's still raining! Several weeks in a row! The rain isn't a problem, we need it. The problem is we only get rain like this every 10 years or so. It would be nice if this is the new "normal". It made me start to think about the the island flooding. I really don't think it's likely, but you never know. If it ever does flood, what about the dog? She would be totally freaked out by it. She won't go out the door in weather that is just mildly weather, like Rain, wind or blustery? Forget about it, she won't leave the house. So what if it floods? Will I get her to do anything? I fear she will run off and never be seen or heard from again.
  She is a "country dog", Heinz 57 variety. She does, however, look and act like a border collie. She has never had a collar around her neck, so the plot thickens. She snarls and growls at everyone. She does not tolerate anyone "messing around with her". I'm confident she has a severe problem in her head, like bat's in the belfry style, or she's just incredibly spoiled.
  One thing FEMA

suggests is to take a picture of yourself with the animal. People will be able to put the two of you together, the theory goes. If she runs off into the hinterland it may improve the chances of finding her. She will be scared for sure. She has epilepsy and needs medication twice a day. She has seizures about twice a month, so there are special needs for her.
  A survival back pack for the dog is in order I suppose; 3 days food, clean water (never ever use flood water for anything), medication and a couple of balls to keep her busy. We could be stranded for a considerable length of time. I may be evacuated due to my not being able to walk, but they won't take the dog. Then what? Leave her with a neighbor? I would not be able to leave her here. So an extensive plan is in order, other than "swim girl swim!".
  So I will develop a plan today. It will morph into an evacuation plan for the entire household I'm sure. The dog generally kind of does what I tell her to. The people here, however, are a different story. Bossing people around doesn't work well most of the time. Everything is connected here, river, dog, levee and people. So I will deal with it all. The department of homeland security has planning forms as does FEMA as well as many other organizations. I will write a blog on what it ends up like (the big plan), and until then I would like to hear about other people's planning in the case of evacuation. Do you have a plan? If not, I wonder what it would take to inspire people (like me) to develop one. I'd like to know.

Thanks for taking the time to read: JimandKate

emergencykitsplus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment