Saturday, February 18, 2017

Do you have a Pocket Knife?

I don't remember a time when I didn't have a pocket knife on me. I currently have three. One is a Swiss Army Knife and another a Buck Knife on my belt. I have an additional small one on the table next to the chair I sit in when I'm working. They all have specific uses, although, my most used knife is my Swiss Army Knife. If you have ever asked someone if they have a knife you can use, you need a pocket knife.

It doesn't look like it will fit in my pocket. 
  My Swiss Army Knife has a large (3") blade, a small 1 1/2" blade, an awl, bottle opener typical toothpick and tweezers, a phillips and flat blade screwdriver. I use it all the time for anything from cutting string to opening boxes. It's not one of the super big knives, it's the "Officer" model, actually a bit stripped down from one a guy would want to take home and show mom. But handy as all get out. I keep it sharp with a diamond encrusted sharpening rod. When it gets real dull I use the kitchen knife sharpener first and then hone it with the rod.
  The Buck knife on my belt is a heavier built knife, too big for the pocket, small enough not to look obnoxious. I use it for heavier duty tasks. I've cut wire with it, stripped branches off of limbs and I cut a lot of cardboard up with it. I peel vegetables from the garden with it, cut fruit and stubborn vines. Paper and cardboard dull a knife quickly.  A dull knife is much more dangerous than a sharp knife. Keep your knives sharp, click here for knife safety tips.
A bit big for a pocket, but a good size for utility uses.
  The other knife I use is a small Swiss Army Knife 1 1/2" blade, scissors and a nail file. It is the handiest one I have. I use it for all the small household tasks that it's mostly suited for.
  These are the knives I have for my emergency evacuation kits as well. Two are on my person all of the time. If you don't have a pocket knife on you, buy one and keep it in your pocket. The more you use it the more uses you will find for it. It is the first tool of use in an emergency.
  When I was in the Philippines we would fish on a breakwater for sharks. We used chalk line string, a hylex bottle for a bobber and a large hook. One of the guy's tied the string around his waist. Suddenly he flew off the breakwater and hit the rock strewn beach running, he was being dragged in by a big fish. He was pulled in past his waist when he pulled his pocket knife out and cut the string. With out his knife ready he may have faced serious results. That's not a common occurrence, however, it does show how something unexpected can happen where a pocket knife would be handy.
  I'd like to hear from you, got a pocket knife story? Maybe you're a blade smith, let me know.

jimandkate
emergencykitsplus.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment