Thursday, May 24, 2018

"Potato columns"- which medium works best straw or leaves? Will any other vegetables grow in them?

"I was just sittin' here enjoyin' the company. Plants got a lot to say if you take the time to listen." Eeyore
 
I am under the impression they listen to us, hmm, I will try a new tactic.
Early this year I built three columns. One was filled with fallen leaves, in which I planted Cantaloupe seeds. The other was filled with straw, Potatoes were planted in it. The third was constructed as a leaf "reserve" for use in my worm farm and make up for my garden beds. I am relatively surprised at the result. It may be a surprise to you also.

"Potato columns"- which medium works best straw or leaves?

During the month of February 2018, I constructed two wire framed columns. One was filled with fallen leaves, the other with straw. I planted 22 seed Potatoe's in the straw, on a bed of compost. At the bottom of the leaf tower, I planted Cantaloupe seeds. The Potatoes at the bottom of the stack were placed on a "nest" of compost. The soil was supported by a 6-inch bed of straw. 5 seed potatoes were placed on top of the compost, a total of 5 levels were planted. Six Cantaloupe seeds were planted at the bottom of the leaf stack. I used a 1-inch twig plunging it 6 inches into the leaf tower. At the bottom of the 6-inch deep hole, I planted 3 seeds in 5 spots. 

My expectation was that both stacks would perform equally well. My reasoning was at the time there should not be a difference between the two because they are both organic. The end result is straw worked, leaves did not.

Potatoes were not the only vegetable I planted in the towers. In the straw tower, I planted 22 seed potatoes as stated above. On the top of this stack were planted beet seeds, with minimal compost. 12 potato plants have emerged through the sides of the "hog wire" screen column. I am confident more will send their leaves into the sunlight. The straw performed well along with the seed potatoes. It does not matter, from my observance, at which level in the pile the potatoes were planted, they sprouted at each.  There are no potatoes showing outside the screen tower on the west side. That side does not receive the same amount of sunshine as the North, East, and South sides receive. The plants on that side may not get enough sun to perform as rapidly as the other three sides. I am suspecting they may emerge later during the month of June. I plan to produce a video when the potatoes are finished, I may discover a cause at that time. I currently do not have a reason for the plants not to be showing on the shaded side.
A photo of my reserve leaf tower. It is composted in the center.
That's good old skunkpuppy in front of it. 

The Cantaloupe seeds did not sprout, I am confident they will not. The reason may be due to the speed at which the leaves compost.  I inadvertently discovered what may be the reason that leads to the failure. I have built a third wire tower to hold leaves with the intent to use them as "make up" for my raised beds as the older organic materials composted. During my efforts to remove some of the leaves from the "reserve" stack I dug 6 inches deep taking up the first clump. At the bottom of the armload of leaves was composted organic material. At the time I assembled the stacks, I did not think about the rate of the composition. I would like to say had I thought of it, I would have allowed for that to happen. In reality, I most likely would not have connected the dots. The Cantaloupe seeds were planted in the bottom of the leaf tower, it remained moist from the moment the leaves were set in place. It is my unproven theory the melon seeds decomposed along with the leaves. To further give confidence to my idea, nothing sprouted from the leaf tower. It leads me to believe all of the seeds, weed, flower, or vegetable, were all composted along with the leaves.

My experiment of planting beet seeds on the top of the final set on the Potato column was unsuccessful as well. I must say that my bar of success was low pertaining to this project. Mostly due to the fact I have had difficulty growing beets in the past. I have experienced mixed results when they were planted in the ground. I say mixed results because my expectations in the soil were at the time high. I suspected 90% of the seeds would produce a beetroot, the reality was 60% sprouted. The seeds were planted on the top of the stack in a nest of compost approximately 3 inches deep. As I do with all of my vegetable plants I watered them with worm tea I make at home. After the potatoes are finished, which should be at the end of July, I may discover the reason they did not grow. While I am writing this I must say I do not know why they didn't show.

I have not grown sweet potatoes in the past, my experience is nill. I planted a set of 5 at the top of the straw tower, they have yet to grow. They were planted at a later date than the five sets in the main section. I placed them there after I abandoned the beetroot experiment. They were planted in the same manner as the other Potatoes. Three varieties of spuds were planted, under them, sweet potatoes may take longer to grow. I will not disturb the Potato tower, however, if the sweets do eventually grow that will be fine. If they don't, well that means another learned garden lesson, they are the best lessons to learn.
This photo is the first set of Potatoes that were planted in the
Straw Tower. Notice the bed of compost.

This photo is my completed Straw Tower, it was just completed at this time.
To the right is a Peach Tree I started from a Peach Pit, March 2017.

The potato peels that sprouted were planted in the reserve column, they did not continue to grow. I raise earthworms for the use of their castings (manure) as fertilizer. I use it two ways, one in its natural state of manure, secondly, I brew "worm tea". (link to my video). Seeds will sprout in the worm farm, normally between the castings and the composted worm bedding. I generally pull the sprouts and lay them on the top of the bedding. The worms will eat the sprouts after the microbes perform their part of the deal. The potato peels sprouted in the same manner, I decided to plant them as another experiment. I am fortunate in that I rarely see an experiments end result as a failure or success. The point to me is it was attempted, and oh well that's the way it goes. I do believe they met the same fate as the Cantaloupe seeds, they were most likely composted along with the leaves. They may have survived in the straw tower, I will try that experiment again.
This is a photo of my large worm farm immediately after it was completed.
I have 4 others in the garage, all much smaller, this is 4'x4'x4'

The straw tower is more productive than the leaf tower, due to the rate of composition I surmise. Straw decomposes slowly as anyone knows who has worked with that medium. That is one reason worm farmers do not use it as bedding in their bins. We use leaves for the opposite reason, it decomposes rapidly aiding the wigglers in their environment which they eat their way through. Worm tea is full of microbes and good bacteria, plus a very natural organic nitrogen. The microbes in the worm tea attack organic material, and food items breaking it down to a palatable consistency for the red wigglers. In other words, the food is broken down in the process of rotting, the worms survive on rotten food. The tea also breaks down the leaves causing me to believe the worm tea in the leaf towers aided in preventing the Cantaloupe and potato peels from growing. (Follow this Link to a video I made explaining how to make Worm Tea)

The worm tea would interact with the straw in the same manner, but being a harder organic material the microbes take a longer time to break down the straw. The potatoes were planted in compost, the worm tea works well due to the microbes will feast on the organic material in it because it is softer. Literally avoiding the straw until the softer substance is broken down. Castings are loaded with nitrogen much like the commercially available products but with a major difference. Worm manure nitrogen is in a form that is ready to be immediately used by the plants, it will not burn plants. Commercial nitrogen is synthetic, making it harder for the plant to use, it will burn plants.

Straw appears to be the material to use, however, there is one more issue that draws my attention. When the potatoes are finished and the straw is separated from them can the straw be used again? I question if it can be because of the composition rates. The straw will be well on its way to being transformed into soil, will the microbes in the worm tea be able to break it down much easier? I plan on re-using it, when the potatoes are harvested in late July I will plant more. The combination of straw, compost, and worm tea work, I will find out if the combination of used straw, compost, and worm tea work equally as well. (Follow this Link to my video on how to construct a worm farm)

Thank you for reading and sharing my blog, please leave a comment about your experiences in the garden. I'm not sure if talking to my plant's will assist them in their growth. Mostly I'm out there talking to myself, perhaps they think I'm talking to them. I do agree with Eeyore, the plants do have a lot to say, we merely have to pay attention to them. Thanks again.

 jacquesandkate emergencykitsplus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment