Sunday, November 4, 2018

Daylight savings time, Spring forward and Fall back, does it make sense? How does time expire?

OK, the Earth probably is flat.
There are a  lot of things I don't understand about this world, not only just our world but the entire universe, sometimes it seems like a huge question mark. One of those is expiration dates, of products, well not just products but everything, I wonder if it's a human desire to control our environment, or if it's actually a desire to understand (or control) what in the heck is going on in and around our world. Expiration dates came to my wandering mind when I read the bottle of Himalayan Sea Salt, the expiration date is this month.
A photograph of a Himalayan Salt Mine.
Salt takes a long time to form underground, an ocean evaporates and leaves behind the minerals, we may be talking hundreds of thousands of years, or possibly millions. Huge salt deposits are beneath the ground, most widely known is the area around Salt Lake City Utah, where large salt mines are located. To place an expiration date on salt is to be the same as an expiration date on granite, it's a mineral, how can it expire? I won't be tossing it in the trash if it exceeds the date, to me, it's not a rational thought, which brings me to another expiration date which doesn't make sense, time.

Time, has an expiration date, is that what I'm claiming? Yes, in fact, it expired this morning at 2 am, daylight savings time starts or returns or however it works. Spring forward and fall back, it's a tradition I have never understood, I know the intent is to "save" daylight, we move the clock to accommodate our desire to control time. We move an hour from the morning to the evening for the summer, then we move one hour from the evening to the morning during the winter.

Some people (experts no dought) claim it saves electricity, I don't know, I don't remember ever going into a building during the day when all of the lights are out. I don't know if there are some office buildings that do not use lights during the summer, With all of the electronic equipment, Televisions, Air Conditioning, and Swimming pool pumps running all day long, how in the world can the savings on electric lighting be determined? Maybe it does save electricity, I don't know and I don't really think the "experts" know as well, somewhere, somehow, someone must be making money from changing the time.

Near the equator the 24 hour day is essentially equal, there are 12 daylight hours and 12 night hours. Changing the time would accomplish nothing for that region of the world, so time does not change there, ever. As we travel North the nights become longer in winter, the days are shorter, moving an hour to the morning means we have more daylight for our morning commute. As I remember my days in the North, we left for school in the dark, and returned in the dark, or near dark, it doesn't make much sense to me. If someone reading this can explain the logic behind changing our clocks please leave it in the comments.

During the summer months from Memorial Day to Labor Day is the tourist season, and the time of year most people spend time outdoors. I live in one of those places people frequent for vacations, weekend camping, as well as locals using the rivers. I wonder how many people pay attention to the clock closely enough to determine how much daylight savings actually adds to their experience.

I realize the clock controls our work a day lives, everything we do depends on our being on time. During the early days of the railroads, timepieces were the most important part of the rail system, not only for deliveries but for safety as well. If the Engineers did not all have their timepieces synchronized with one another, disaster could and often was the final product.

The only way in the days of the sailing ships for the Captains to know their location was through the use of a timepiece and a Sextant, the world may never have been traveled if navigation techniques were not discovered. That is merely a matter of the proper hardware, navigating time does not change, it must match Greenwich England. In fact, an English watchmaker is the person responsible for discovering navigation techniques still in use today. (In 1764, British clockmaker John Harrison (1693–1776) invented the seagoing chronometer.)

Some people in my situation, I don't work, everything I do (mostly) can wait until tomorrow, and we know tomorrow never comes. I need to know what time it is once a month for my normal monthly doctor's visit, my other appointment is not dictated by time, I show up whenever I want. For me, there are only two times of day, the time the sun is shining, and the time the sun is not shining, there is no time. There is no time that is dependent on daylight savings time especially, but if I wanted to make sure the world was not flat, I would need the exact time and distance. It's already been established that the world is not so I won't need time for that task either.

I woke up this morning at my normal time, 7 am, with one exception it is now named 6 am.
Spring forward, Fall back.

Florida recently passed a law to not observe daylight savings time' I wouldn't mind that, it would have no effect on me at all. I can't think of a single way moving an hour around enhances our existence, can you? One way may be when taking a road trip and time is of the essence, if our trip is dictated by the clock we may have an extra hour of driving or sightseeing time. It is logical to me if someone wanted another hour of sunlight during the day, why not just get out of bed an hour earlier? I'm really OK with changing the clocks, but I have the same thoughts about it every year. I have found there is not always a good reason for everything that takes place, I place daylight savings into that category, I just cannot figure out why we do it.

California has a proposition on Tuesdays' ballot to end daylight savings time. Regardless of how the results Talley up it will not be enacted, it must be approved by two-thirds of the State Legislature. In order for that to be legitimate, the United States Congress must first change the national law to allow it to be changed. The average time for a bill to wind its way through the political mishmash is 17 years, yes that long from conception to enactment. It would be 2035 if a bill was introduced this year and debated every year until it passes.

Thank you for reading and sharing, time is fleeting, some physicist have a hypothesis that it does not exist, but for our world to work it must. Time may cease to exist after we are all gone, but I bet salt will still be here.

jacquesLebec  EmergencyKitsPlus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment