Tuesday, July 31, 2018

17 Wildfires in California the sky is full of smoke people are dying and my neighbor is mad about being cited to cleanup.

When under the threat of wildfire, the best advice is to "Run," it's too late to talk about what should have been done before it started, now is the time to survive, Run.

Two days ago, the Carr fire 154 square miles burned so far. 

17 wildfires are burning in California as I write this, I know several people affected by them. The human suffering is immense, and that is the real story, as usual, the story of the people. Some of the sufferings defy words, others make me realize I have no real problems in this world, and some inspire sympathy beyond imaginations. A phone call, offers to help with everything, and opening our home to someone that needs refuge, what more can there be?

We have two daughters, a son, and six grandchildren 50 miles south of the Ferguson fire near Yosemite, the smoke is taking a toll on them. We have friends that just bought a house near the fire currently burning near Clear Lake in Northern California, and we have a friend in Redding 15 miles East of the Carr Fire, his grandsons have been under an evacuation alert for three days, his daughter already evacuated. My neighbor lives in San Francisco, he owns the lot next door, he and his wife came to clean the weeds, and eliminate the danger of fire.
All of California is in this condition, even up high in the Mountains.

The weeds and grass are high, standing up to 4 feet bone dry waving in the 9-20 mile per hour winds. Bone dry tinder, ripe to receive a spark, cigarette butt, or heat from a broken down car, it ignites instantly. Over the weekend I saw two fires start in the mountains to the west of the house, I did not have to leave the chair I work out of. Neither of those fires grew into a huge monster, but each one destroyed at least one home. The owners of those homes are every bit as distressed as the people in the mega-fires, they all have lost everything. We can go over lists and plans, evacuation routes, radio stations, and what to grab to take with us. We can talk about what we should do, what we should have done, and what we need to do now, but the reality is we need to leave fast when a fire is approaching.

I write a lot about preparing for the fire season, sometimes during the time the wildfires are burning, but most of the time during the rainy season. Writing about the need to construct a fire-safe zone around our houses, laying in supplies to grab on our way out, and advice on phone calls, water, and being self-reliant when faced with that disaster. I watch the nightly news and attempt to understand the disaster, and the human suffering, being removed from the fires there is no way to be able to relate.

How in the world can a person relate to the Grandfather whose wife and two grandchildren perished in the fire? This man is the same age as I am, I can identify with him to a certain extent. He appears to be a gruff old guy, rough around the edges, tough, self-reliant and dedicated to his family, all traits I claim also. I can't imagine being in his shoes, everything is OK, then one hour later it isn't, his entire life was changed. It makes me realize I don't have a problem in the world in comparison.

It is incredibly bizarre to me when people complain about being cited by the county, building inspector, or fire department, it doesn't matter who cites them. Weekenders, investors, and property owners all get cited alike, every year, I see it as a reminder. When I owned property in the central valley it had to be cleared yearly, I would sometimes be cited as well, even though I kept it cut down all of the time. No one has to call and report anyone in wildfire country, the county comes around on their own, writing citations and sending them to property owners. Most owners receive the notice and take a weekend to clean their lot up, some hire a tractor, gardener, or neighbor kid to plow, run a weed-eater, or mow. Still, others perform the task themselves, it is hard exhausting work, I've done it a lot of times. Then there are those who get angry because they were cited, they begin to blame whoever is handy, it can't be their fault someone had to tell. They could not be further from the truth, I have rarely heard of someone calling the fire department on a neighbor to "report" them, however, some people say it is widespread. Such was the case this weekend, I was accused of calling the county and complaining about my neighbor, then requesting they be cited.
I wonder what his thoughts are.

Why in the world would I do that? Why would I think it was needed? I know the county inspects all year round, they are by the house at least twice a day, I live on a dead end road in the country. We live in wildfire country, the people that own the property are in wildfire country, it seems they would want to protect themselves. I saw the lot, I saw the weeds, and I know all too well the impending dangers, but I knew the notices were coming and it's best to let it happen. For many of these people, their properties are an investment, they buy riverfront property dreaming of the day it is worth a fortune and they can collect a big payday. The reality for other people, like me, is this is my home I don't care what it is worth I want to live here the rest of my life. Everything I have is in this house, everything I will have is in this house, my legacy is this house, I'm here to stay. They, on the other hand, are driven by money, not caring if they ever see the place again, these are the people that should hire someone to care for it. If that lot caught fire it has the potential of starting a major fire. Spreading to my house which is North of the fence, I have a zone of 20 feet between the house and it. catching the house on fire is a possible consequence. To the South is another house, built of Cedar, the owners take impeccable care of it, they also have a safe zone. So where is the problem? The overgrown fire hazard between us, no one called the county, should we have? No, I knew they would be cited and they were, so what was expected of us, the neighbors, to do that would not have irritated the owners of the lot. I suppose I could have called them, That's been done before, typically they still get mad about it, who are we to tell them to clean up their lot. If I were to call anyone it would have been them, I've called them to tell them of prowlers and the potential of squatters, but not clean up. I pay to have their waterfront kept clean, I don't want them to be cited because an emergency vehicle is unable to pass through, that is a big fine and it's important for me to do that. I keep watch on their place to make sure squatters, burglars, and curiosity seekers are kept out also calling the sheriff when there is a problem. We are under the threat of wildfires and all this guy is concerned with is someone ratting him out, that to me is unbelievable.

He was cited because he doesn't keep his firetrap cleaned up, there is no other reason, no one reported him. I would think the guy would lift his head up, and realize the amount of human suffering that is going on around us, but I suppose he sees his "problem" as being much larger than anyone else's, someone reported him.

Thanks for reading and sharing, I'm distressed about the fires causing so much misery for so long to so many innocent people, and I am upset because some people can't or won't see it. Thanks again.

jacquesandkate EmergencyKitsPlus.com



1 comment:

  1. I live in KTown, LA and I woke up to ash covering my car yesterday. It's unbelievable the suffering and I worry about the poor animals too.

    ReplyDelete