Saturday, March 10, 2018

It's upon us again! Just to bewilder some of us less enlightened ones time expires on Saturday, so does my sea salt.

  There are a  lot of things I don't understand about this world, not only just our world but the entire universe, sometimes it seems like a huge question mark. One of those is expiration dates, of products, well not just products but everything, I wonder if it's a human desire to control our environment, or if it's actually a desire to understand (or control) what in the heck is going on in and around our world. Expiration dates came to my wandering mind when I read the bottle of Himalayan Sea Salt.
A photo of a Himalayan salt mine, it's used not only for health
issues but lamps are made from them as well. 

I read that it does wonders for people that suffer from allergies, which I do, my breathing system spends a great deal of time giving me problems. I read on the internet to use the pink salt versus the normal sea salt in my nasal rinse due to it is far superior to regular sea salt. My wife bought some for me, I used it, and it did indeed perform better than the normal everyday sea salt. I read the bottle the stuff came in and low and behold I had a hard time believing what I read, it had an expiration date on it. December 2019, the salt is not good after that date, I am shocked! OK, not so much shocked as humored by it, how in the world can salt expire? Salt takes a long time to form underground, if we boil sea salt it doesn't take very long, but when an ocean evaporates and leaves behind the minerals, we may be talking hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of years. Huge salt deposits are beneath the ground, most widely known is the area around Salt Lake City Utah, where large salt mines are located. To place an expiration date on salt is to be the same as an expiration date on granite, it's a mineral, how can it expire? I won't be tossing it in the trash if I exceed the date, to me, it's not a rational thought, which brings me to another expiration date which doesn't make sense, time. (Follow this Link for information on expiration dates.)
  Time, has an expiration date, is that what I'm claiming? Yes, in fact, it expires this weekend, daylight savings time expires, or starts however it works. Spring forward and fall back, it's a tradition I have never understood, I know what the intent is. That intent is to "save" daylight, we move the clock to accommodate our desire to control time. We move an hour from the morning to the evening for the summer, then we move one hour from the evening to the morning during the winter.
I'm so sorry Ben, we're going to have to move you forward an hour.
England is the same country that discovered modern navigation
methods, the British are actually the keepers of time on Earth.

Some people (experts no dought) claim it saves electricity, I don't know, I don't remember ever going into a building during the day when all of the lights are out. My wife has a saying I repeat all of the time, "a babies world is only as big as the room she's in." I repeat it here because my sentence about never being in a building during the day when all the lights are out is a small world statement maybe. I don't know if there are some office buildings that do not use lights during the summer, With all of the electronic equipment, Televisions, Air Conditioning, and Swimming pool pumps running all day long, how in the world can the savings on electric lighting be determined? Maybe it does save electricity, I don't know and I don't really think the "experts" know as well, somewhere, somehow, someone must be making money from changing the time. Near the equator the 24 hour day is essentially equal, changing the time would accomplish nothing, so it's not changed, ever. As we travel North the nights become longer in winter, the days are shorter, moving an hour to the morning means we have more daylight for our morning commute. As I remember my days in the North, we left for school in the dark, and returned in the dark, or near dark, it doesn't make much sense to me. If someone reading this can explain the logic behind changing our clocks please leave it in the comments. Now during the summer months from Memorial Day to Labor Day is the tourist season, and the time of year most people spend time outdoors. I live in one of those places people flock to vacation, weekend camping, and locals every day using the rivers. I wonder how many people pay attention to the clock closely enough to determine how much daylight savings actually adds to their experience.
  I realize the clock controls our work a day lives, everything we do depends on our being on time. During the early days of the railroads, timepieces were the most important part of the rail system, not only for deliveries but for safety as well. If the Engineers did not all have their timepieces synchronized with one another, disaster could and often was the final product. The only way in the days of the sailing ships to know their location was through the use of a timepiece and a Sextant, the world may never have been traveled if navigation techniques were never discovered. In fact, a watchmaker is the person responsible for discovering navigation techniques still in use today. Then there are people in my situation, I don't work, everything I have to do (mostly) can wait until tomorrow, and we know tomorrow never comes. I need to know what time it is once a month for my normal monthly doctor's visit, my other doctor's visit isn't even dictated by time, I show up whenever I want. For a person in my situation there are only two times of day, the time the sun is shining, and the time the sun is not shining, there is no time. There is no time that is dependent on daylight savings time especially, but if I wanted to make sure the world was still round, I would need the exact time and distance. It's already been established that the world is not flat so I won't need time for that task either.
It would be harder to prove the Earth is flat than it is to prove it
is round.

  Florida has recently (today March 9, 2018) passed a law to not observe daylight savings time, (Link) I wouldn't mind that, it would have no effect on me at all. I can't think of a single way moving an hour around enhances my existence, can you? One way may be when taking a road trip and time is of the essence, if our trip is dictated by the clock we may have an extra hour of driving or sightseeing time. I really don't understand it, and a big part of that is if I want another hour of sunlight during the day, why not just get out of bed an hour earlier? I'm OK with changing the clocks, every year I have the same thoughts about it, however, I have found there is not always a good reason for everything that takes place, I place daylight savings into that category, I just cannot figure out why we do it.
  Thank you for reading and sharing, if you can lift the fog out of my head and explain to me the advantage in daylight savings time please leave a comment. As I said I don't believe time or salt has an expiration date.
jacquesandkate  EmergencyKitsPlus.com

1 comment: